Experience of a Lifetime

In May 2008, I had the opportunity to travel with a group of fellow language students on a UAB faculty-led study abroad trip to the city of Jaén in the province of Jaén, Spain.

While there, I had the opportunity to live with a host family and take classes at the Universidad de Jaén.

During our stay, we also had the opportunity to visit Cazorla, Granada, and Madrid. It was a truly enriching experience that has both shaped and enhanced my language skills and understanding of the Spanish culture.

This blog is an account of my experiences in Spain and is in no way affiliated with nor a representation of the experiences, thoughts, or opinions of the UAB Study Away office.


Monday, May 19, 2008

Day 13

Yeah!! Today is day 13 of the trip, which is very hard to believe! This means that I will be home in a mere 11 days... and I have to say that as the time draws nearer, I am ready for it. I have enjoyed Spain VERY much!! But I do have to say that I miss the food at home, I miss my bed, and I miss things familiar to me. Today´s topic for my post: the smell.

It smells different here everywhere... I haven´t been some place that didn´t have a smell. Some places smell like an entire bottle of perfume; others smell like garbage; others just smell strange. Even my clothes have a different smell. Everything has a different smell... and I wonder how the people here don´t smell it... maybe they do; I don´t know... or maybe their noses are used to it. I don´t think it helps any that dogs are allowed to poop on the sidewalk and no one picks it up... I have to admit that I have been very afraid I will not be looking at just the most inopportune second and I will find myself having stepped in the happy trail of a doggy on a walk... And then I sit here and think how strange the word smell is... oh well, perhaps I should choose a different topic.

Today we had class and no excursions. Tomorrow we have class and an excursion to see Iberian somethings... I can´t for the life of me remember what. No rain today; however, the sky didn´t look so nice as it was getting dark. We´ll see what tomorrow brings.I think it is almost time for supper, so I will go for now. Until next time.......

No comments: