Experience of a Lifetime

In May 2008, I had the opportunity to travel with a group of fellow language students on a UAB faculty-led study abroad trip to the city of Jaén in the province of Jaén, Spain.

While there, I had the opportunity to live with a host family and take classes at the Universidad de Jaén.

During our stay, we also had the opportunity to visit Cazorla, Granada, and Madrid. It was a truly enriching experience that has both shaped and enhanced my language skills and understanding of the Spanish culture.

This blog is an account of my experiences in Spain and is in no way affiliated with nor a representation of the experiences, thoughts, or opinions of the UAB Study Away office.


Thursday, May 22, 2008

Jaén in veintiún días...

This is the title of the newspaper article in which our group is featured in the local Jaén newspaper. It came out the first week we were here, but a lady in our group made copies today to give to us. I was very grateful to be able to have this to save for memories. It talks about our trip here to Jaén and how we are here for three weeks... it even quotes one of the girls here on our trip. I think it is very fun!!

Sad news: yesterday we were not able to go to the olive oil factory... I found this to be slightly disappointing because I had looked forward to it. Many other people had as well. Apparently, harvest of the olives is December-March, and the oil process is completed in the month of April... so they explained to us that nothing is going on right now... oh well, I guess I have had my fill of it, for they use olive oil for EVERYTHING here... cooking, to eat on bread, to put on their salads, and I am sure there are more. We did get to go see some historical places and war trenches related to the Spanish civil war.
It was interesting. We went to a wine storehouse for sampling, but it just smelled so awful, I couldn´t bring myself to do it... the whole place smelled like a piece of moldy fermentation. It was very neat to be able to see all the wine stored in the big wooden barrells! I thought it was very fun!


This morning I had a superb pastry from a bakery... A chocolate frosted donut sliced in half with whipped cream in the middle... and real chocolate... not just icing. :) Yes, it was very good!

I am ready for a summer of reading, studying, and all the things that it is possible to do with what little life free time I have left. I will be home a week from tomorrow!! :)

No comments: