Experience of a Lifetime

In May 2008, I had the opportunity to travel with a group of fellow language students on a UAB faculty-led study abroad trip to the city of Jaén in the province of Jaén, Spain.

While there, I had the opportunity to live with a host family and take classes at the Universidad de Jaén.

During our stay, we also had the opportunity to visit Cazorla, Granada, and Madrid. It was a truly enriching experience that has both shaped and enhanced my language skills and understanding of the Spanish culture.

This blog is an account of my experiences in Spain and is in no way affiliated with nor a representation of the experiences, thoughts, or opinions of the UAB Study Away office.


Saturday, May 24, 2008

Melancholoy Saturday.

Well, I guess I would have to say that the countdown has begun. I have less than one week left here. Technically, I only have five days left to spend here... the 6th one will be completely filled with travelling.

Today is Saturday, and I REALLY need to work on my presentation today. Apparently, there is not the same urgency here as there is at home to get something accomplished. I really need to get it done, but no one seems to understand.... I need to use the computer! Oh, how I wish I had my laptop... It would be so much easier then.

Sometimes, I feel so much like a guest... but then, I really am. I think I feel most inconveniencing when I ask to take a shower. I am trying very hard to understand and be patient. I just feel a little bit frustrated at times... but I know I was placed here for a reason.

This day has seemingly lasted forever... Here we are at nearly 7:00pm. The sun coming in my window is warm... but my desire for some form of normalcy is about to overcome me. My time is certainly not my own here. I live by the schedules of others. Everyone pretty much does their own thing: siestas in the afternoon and staying in their respective rooms for the evening.

Maybe I will find some fun things at the Mercadillo tomorrow! I look forward to my day off!

No comments: