Experience of a Lifetime

In May 2008, I had the opportunity to travel with a group of fellow language students on a UAB faculty-led study abroad trip to the city of Jaén in the province of Jaén, Spain.

While there, I had the opportunity to live with a host family and take classes at the Universidad de Jaén.

During our stay, we also had the opportunity to visit Cazorla, Granada, and Madrid. It was a truly enriching experience that has both shaped and enhanced my language skills and understanding of the Spanish culture.

This blog is an account of my experiences in Spain and is in no way affiliated with nor a representation of the experiences, thoughts, or opinions of the UAB Study Away office.


Monday, May 12, 2008

Monday

¡Hola! Buenos dias.
Actually, it is afternoon here. It is just 4:00pm, and it has turned out to be a nice day. It has been sunny this afternoon and has warmed up a little from this morning and the previous days. Today was the first day of classes. It went very well. Our Spanish professor is very nice; I like her very much already. I think she is going to be a good teacher to have while we are here. We had the culture class and talked about all the provinces of Spain. I really enjoy having Profesora Centeno as a teacher. She is probably my favorite ever. Tommy then talked about Arabic influence in Spanish architecture. We are going to Granada tomorrow to see La Alhambra, which has a lot of Moorish and Arabic (Muslim) influence. I am very excited! I am looking forward to learning about it and taking pictures.
I have been having a very good time over the last few days. It is getting better every day.
Tonight we are going on a sightseeing tour to a church and maybe to see a few other things.
I find this place fascinating, and I see again how much I enjoy the Spanish language, history, geography, culture, etc.

No comments: