Experience of a Lifetime

In May 2008, I had the opportunity to travel with a group of fellow language students on a UAB faculty-led study abroad trip to the city of Jaén in the province of Jaén, Spain.

While there, I had the opportunity to live with a host family and take classes at the Universidad de Jaén.

During our stay, we also had the opportunity to visit Cazorla, Granada, and Madrid. It was a truly enriching experience that has both shaped and enhanced my language skills and understanding of the Spanish culture.

This blog is an account of my experiences in Spain and is in no way affiliated with nor a representation of the experiences, thoughts, or opinions of the UAB Study Away office.


Saturday, May 10, 2008

Sábado (or Saturday)

I find it a little difficult to type here... some of the keys are stiff, though I think that is only on this keyboard. It seems to take me forever sometimes. However, the keyboards are different... the punctuation marks and all symbols but the letters are in different places. The period is the same, but I have to look down when wanting to make an @ sign or something as such... Today has been a good day... quite chilly though. I think it was around 10 degrees celcius. It also rained again. This is very strange. It was supposed to be hot and dry here... however, it has done nothing but rain and be cool since we arrived. I think today was the coolest day of all. The forecast says more cool weather and rain for tomorrow... I plan to dress in layers. Our group is taking a trip to Cazorla for the day. It is somewhere here between Jaen and Granada, I think. We are supposed to meet at 8:00 am to leave. I am going to walk to meet Charlie about 7:40ish and we will go together to the Plaza de las Batallas.

We are taking a bus. I am being sure to take my camera and lots of batteries... I think it will be a wonderful place for pictures! We have been talking about it and have decided that there will be more pictures from this trip than any other study abroad trip because there are fourteen girls here, I think... and everyone wants to take pictures.

I went shopping this morning with Amanda, Sarah, and Charlie. We met at the Cathedral and walked around down into the center of Jaen.
I bought an orange shirt (like I need any more clothing) for 10€. I like the pricing system here very much. What you see on the price tag is what you pay because tax is already included. I also bought a pack of paper for school. The paper is a little bit longer here than ours. It is interesting... nothing differs but the length.

This afternoon, despite my best intentions not to, I fell asleep during the siesta period of the day. Around 6:00 pm some of Raquel´s friends came over to celebrate her birthday. We had some kind of pie/cake with a filling in the middle. It was very good. We sang, talked a lot, and took pictures. It made me feel a little more at home and comfortable that people seem to be understanding that it takes me a little longer than them to get things on occasion. :)

We had empanada for dinner, which was filled with tomato and tuna, I think. But it had been baked all together, and I must say, was quite tasty. We had Pepsi Light, which always makes me smile... it was the same in Honduras. The diet things are called ¨light¨ usually.

Today I have felt a little more at home in this city/province, whichever Jaen is. With walking around, I was able to figure my way somewhat around the center part of the city. It makes things much easier once I can figure things out for myself. I am making an attempt to learn where I need to go for certain things.

While we were out shopping today, we passed a camera store where I think they can put pictures onto CD. Charlie is planning to go back, so I may go back with her when she does so that I can get some pictures up for everyone to see. I have been searching for a watch because I do not have one... and many times, I need one. I saw many today, but they are in the neighborhood of $30 and I am just not sure I want to pay that for a brightly colored watch. Also, I don´t normally wear one, so I don´t know how I feel about paying it for a short period of time... I may just break down and buy one sometime this week.

I find it fascinating to see all the things here... Even though it is difficult at times, I love being surrounded by Spanish. In a store today, we saw canisters for flour, pasta, sugar, etc. that were all in Spanish. Amanda and I wanted them very much, but they take up so much space. If people keep giving us things, we may never make it home! :)

There are so many pretty things here... the city is beautiful. I love the architecture, the ironwork everywhere, the tile sidewalks and in some cases, the cobblestone streets. Any and every kind of store is on the street. I am greatly enjoying being here, but at some moments, I desperately want to be at home... I know that the trip will be very beneficial, and I know that I will be home soon enough. When I feel this way, I just pray for peace and comfort when I want to call home so badly.


I doubt I will be able to post tomorrow, though I might... I guess it will depend on when I arrive home. It will be a long day, and I have to get up early to start school on Monday morning. There is much ahead of me; however, I am looking forward to it!!

No comments: